Wednesday 2 December 2015

The Tale of Princess Kaguya, a Review

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
[a review]

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a 137 minutes long animation produced by Ghibli Studio. The director, Isao Takahata co-wrote the screenplay together with Riko Sakaguchi. The responsible producer of the animation is Yoshiaki Nishimura. Ghibli Studio loyal composer Joe Hisaishi handled the music arrangement while cinematography was under the care of Keisuke Nakamura. The animation was released on the 23rd November 2013 (Japan).

         I was a child when I first heard of the tale of the bamboo cutter. There were different versions all across Asia. The one thing they shared in common was that the baby princess grew to be a mystically beautiful woman. It was all I remember of the story. A beautiful princess born from the cheap common bamboo shoots. It is also the only thing everyone around Princess Kaguya ever think of. Everyone except her childhood playmates who knew the unruly and curious child in Princess Kaguya. Princess Kaguya try to fight her way into getting what she wants. Her love for beauty was mistaken for a love for a luxury life. His own father wanted to believe she was a princess sent by Heaven and thus sets himself to provide her the necessity he thought fit for heavenly princess.
Regarding the art, I was genuinely surprised. I saw the illustrations, and the trailers, but I didn’t think they’d actually leave it in the raw-brush sort of way. I found it beautifully intense. I feel like the story is told in a portrait-like manner by an artist. I’m used to the modern style anime I wasn’t expecting that this style would actually be a gripping way to tell tales. I can feel myself agreeing to everything Okina claimed beautiful. Each scene took my breath away!
I like how the story does not focus on the marriage proposals or on her affections for Sutemaru. Despite Okina’s obvious change after receiving his fortune, and his ridiculous man-view on Kaguya-hime’s happiness, I found him a character I cannot hate. I like the way he sees the social hierarchy and how he stands by his belief. Despite formerly a bamboo cutter, he did not hide himself, nor does he fall under the pressure to present Princess Kaguya's face to the rich nobles who came for a visit. He is a strict follower of rules, why explains his need to give the heaven-sent Princess Kaguya the best he could give even if that means forbidding her to associate with the lower class.
However, I am a little disappointed with Ouna’s role in the story. She is the ever-loving and understanding mother. During the first half of the story, I found her role to be very strong, influencing a lot on the story. Despite not liking her passiveness much in the latter half, it is logical for Ouna to have such personality. She is the good wife, her husband greatest supporter, and have multiple time become a person Princess Kaguya share her sorrows with. I am sad for Ouna more than I could for dear Princess Kaguya.
Conclusively, it is an amazing movie that gives a lot of room for thoughts. I definitely recommend it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment